Activated charcoal powder is a black, odorless, flavorless powder that has been used for centuries to heal a variety of ailments, including drug overdoses and as an anti-poison. Basically, it helps the gut clear out any toxins and detoxify the bad stuff.
My English Bulldog, Sheldon (pictured below) unfortunately ate some of my 18-month old daughters' food, which was super healthy for humans, but contained onions, which he most definitely ate. I know this because he was throwing up and, thankfully onions came out. He felt miserable and I knew we had a problem on our hands.
I wanted him to feel better immediately and took a teaspoon of charcoal, and mixed it with 1/4 of a cup of water and gave him 2.5mL via syringe. I watched him closely all morning and noticed he was thankfully perking up within an hour. I then gave him Nux Vomia 30c, a homeopathic remedy often used after eating food that is not agreeable. 2 hours later, he was completely fine. Eating, drinking and playing normally. I was and am grateful.
I often wonder why charcoal isn't used more frequently. It is super cheap, and can be purchased on amazon. Bonus, it can be used as a natural teeth-whitener. Moral of this blog post: if your dog has an upset stomach and ate something no bueno, use activated charcoal to speed up their recovery.