As our dogs age, nutritional needs can change to support optimal health. Antioxidants are always helpful as they protect the body against oxidative stress. Joint, skin and cognition support also may be needed as your dogs age.
The supplements listed below are also incredibly effective in supporting health, combating oxidative stress and supporting longevity.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): ACV contains a variety of flavonoids, such as gallic acid, catechin, caffeic acid, and ferulic acid, which are incredibly beneficial to optimal health because it acts as an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive, and anti-hyperlipidemic properties. Click here to learn more about how to use it.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil is a dietary source of omega-3 fatty acids. Your body needs omega-3 fatty acids for many functions, from muscle activity to cell growth. Health benefits include heart health support; aids in the prevention of cognitive decline; supports eye health; reduces inflammation; supports health skin and reduces liver fat. Amazon sells a bunch of options, but Bobzilla recommends this brand because it is sourced from wild-caught fish.
- Golden Paste: This a fabulous overall supplement to promote wellness is made of turmeric, MCT or coconut oil, filtered water and black pepper, which helps the body absorb these ingredients. It is a natural anti-inflammatory; it is believed to have anti-cancer properties; can reduce blood clots; offers natural pain relief; has anti-bacterial properties; and is a powerful antioxidant. Click here to see the recipe.
- Kefir: You can find kefir in most dairy aisles in supermarkets. Goat's milk kefir is great, but if you can't find that, regular kefir is just fine. Because it is fermented, it can contain more than 50 species of probiotic bacteria and yeast that promote gut health, which in turn can boost immunity; build bone strength; aid in fighting cancer; provides allergy relief and supports healthy digestion and skin. .
- Myos: Myos Canine Muscle Formula is a clinically proven all-natural muscle building supplement that reduces muscle loss in aging dogs and improves recovery from injury of surgery. Amazon sells it!
- Senilife: Senilife is a nutritional supplement for the signs of brain aging in elderly dogs, which can provide an improved quality of life for the elderly pet, delay the appearance of age related behavior problems, and reduce the need for age related dependencies to the owner. Amazon sells this one too!
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps the body absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus; both are critical for building bone. Also, laboratory studies show that vitamin D can reduce cancer cell growth, help control infections and reduce inflammation. I give Sheldon Liqua-D by Apex Energetics, which is for humans and works beautifully for dogs as well.
- Wholistic Pet Organics: Joint Mobility with Green Lipped Mussel: Green lipped mussel is a fantastic anti-inflammatory, can reduce pain, increase movement and has been also shown to improve gut health by feeding the good bacteria found in the digestive system. Amazon to the rescue.
Aging is inevitable. However, there are lots of natural ways we can rely on to optimize the health of our dogs and help them live happy and healthy lives for as long as possible.
Please use this website and the resources listed here to educate yourself, become an informed advocate for your animals and ultimately help them heal completely.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.