Throughout the course of your dogs' life, they will inevitably get sick or get hurt. If you are anything like me, you will drop everything and take them to the vet, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I remember when Sheldon was a puppy and had chronic interdigital cysts. I would freak out and take him into the vet. She gave us antibiotic ointment and on occasion, a steroid to bring down inflammation. Of course the treatment seemed to be effective initially as his symptoms went away, but they unfortunately returned with a vengeance because we failed to treat the root cause, which was ultimately vaccinosis, an adverse reaction to vaccines.
Once I learned about vaccinosis, I learned about homeopathy, I realized quickly that I could easily and effectively treat most minor issues at home without a vet. If Sheldon had an interdigital cyst, I would give him sulphur 30, which would heal the interdigital cyst within 48 hours. Now, I feel like my house is a homeopathic pharmacy that I used for my family as well.
If you are new to homeopathy or need a quick refresher, take a look at the list of homeopathic remedies and their purpose, including links to purchase, that I highly recommend keeping on hand when your dog needs them:
- Apis Mellifica - used to treat insect bites
- Arnica – used for general pain relief and treating musculoskeletal injuries
- Arsenicum Album – used for diarrhea
- Borax – good for calming pets during thunderstorms and fireworks
- Cantharis – used to relieve the symptoms of cystitis, as well as treat skin conditions and scalds and burns
- Euphrasia – commonly used to treat eye problems, such as conjunctivitis
- Ledum Palustre – used to treat insect and tick bites
- Nux Vomica – used for upset stomach
- Rhus tox – used to treat arthritis, red swollen eyes and skin infections
- Silicea – used to expel foreign bodies, such as thorns or seeds, from the skin, and can also be used to treat abscesses and sinusitis
- Sulphur – used to treat skin problems, particularly skin allergies
One of the many advantages of homeopathy aside from the inexpensive price include that it works with your dogs' natural immune system, treats a wide variety of symptoms and has way fewer side effects than conventional medicine.