Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, used this term miasm to describe transgenerational diseases, which are diseases that are passed down from generation to generation until they are cured (Source: Miasm Formulas: Breakthroughs in the Cure of Disease). Think of chronic illnesses that run in a family like cystic fibrosis or Huntington disease in humans.
These miasms can be acquired or inherited, but most are inherited and exist in various layers of the body because "correcting disease and building health is like peeling away layers of an onion" (Source: Miasm Formulas: Breakthroughs in the Cure of Disease). Once one layer is peeled back, more symptoms may emerge until the final layer is healed, which results in optimal health.
According to Hahnemann, these transgenerational diseases are caused by 3 distinct miasms: Sycosis, Syphilis and Psora. Each one has their own characteristics and remedies to cure them.
Sycosis is responsible for many sexual and urinary disorders, joint problems and mucous membranes. Specific sycosis diseases include rheumatism, asthma, catarrhs, bronchitis, cystitis and warts.
- Healing Remedies: Thuja, Lycopodium, Natrum sulph, Causticum, Kali sulph, Staphysagria, Calc and Sepia
Syphilis is responsible for diseases of the nervous system, skeletal system, cardiovascular system, as well as psychological disorders including including alcoholism, depression, suicidal impulses, insanity, loss of smell and taste, blindness, deafness and ulcerations.
- Healing Remedies: Arsenicum, Aurum, Mercury, Phosphorus and Lycopodium, Nitric acid, amongst many others
Psora is responsible for most chronic diseases including skin disease, mental illness (excluding syphilitic ones), allergies, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and dysfunctions of organs. Psora is responsible for most bulldog-specific issues.
- Remedies to Heal: agar, alumina, ammon carb, ammon mur, anacardium, antimon crudum, arsen alb, aurum, aurum mur, bar carb, borax, calc carb, carbo an, carbo veg, caust, clem, colocynth, conium, cuprum, dig, dulc, euphorbium, graph, guaj, hepar, iodium, kali carb, lyc, mag carb, mag mur, manganum, mez, mur ac, nat carb, nat mur, nitric acid, nitrium, petroleum, phos, phos ac, platina, sars, sepia, silica, stannum, sulph, sulp ac, zincum
(Source: Hahnemann's Miasm Theory and Miasm Remedies).
Specific remedies and miasm forumulas are used to heal disease and optimize health. Once healing has begun, new symptoms will appear, just like peeling layers of an onion, that will need to be treated as they emerge in order to heal the miasm for good. Ultimately, once the miasm or miasms are healed, symptoms will subside and diseases won't be passed down to the next generation.
This type of approach to healing is very different than conventional medicine that often assumes a "one-size-fits-all" approach to care. Homeopathy is gentler and is most effective when tailored to the unique needs, symptoms and personality of a patient.
Please click on the links to the articles below to learn more about miasms and how to heal them!
- Rabies Miasm in Dogs: Informative article from Dogs Naturally that discusses "miasms," a homeopathic term that refers to "chronic disturbance unrecognized except as it’s manifested by acute flareups of what seem to be individual diseases." If your dog is suffering from a rabies miasm, this article contains homeopathic remedies to reverse it.
- Rabies Miasm, the Reality and the Cure: Another case of an animal suffering from an adverse reaction to vaccines and how to cure it.
- Rabies Vaccine can cause Rabies Symptoms in Dogs: The rabies vaccine contains a trace amount of rabies virus, which can cause the exact same symptoms of rabies itself. Rabies vaccinosis symptoms are physical, mental and emotional and are often overlooked by vets and will not associate a connection between these symptoms and the vaccine.