I know it may sound hard to believe, but what if all sickness could be traced back to 5 distinct diseases? There is no doubt that certain individuals or specific dog breeds are predisposed to to particular behaviors or diseases. Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, used the term miasm, "an obstacle to cure" to describe these transgenerational diseases. His theory suggests that until these miasms are addressed and healed, the cure of whatever disease wouldn't be complete (Source: Miasm Formulas: Breakthroughs in the Cure of Disease).
In homeopathy, there are 3 miasms that are "responsible for all disease of a chronic nature" and "form the foundation or basis for all disease in general" and include sycosis, syphilis and psora (Source: Hahnemann's Miasm Theory and Miasm Remedies).
- Sycosis is responsible for many sexual and urinary disorders, joint problems and mucous membranes. Specific sycosis diseases include rheumatism, asthma, catarrhs, bronchitis, cystitis and warts.
- Chief remedies are Thuja, Lycopodium, Natrum sulph, Causticum, Kali sulph, Staphysagria, Calc and Sepia
- Syphilis is responsible for diseases of the nervous system, skeletal system, cardiovascular system, as well as psychological disorders including including alcoholism, depression, suicidal impulses, insanity, loss of smell and taste, blindness, deafness and ulcerations.
- Chief remedies are Arsenicum, Aurum, Mercury, Phosphorus and Lycopodium, Nitric acid, amongst many others.
- Psora is responsible for most chronic diseases including skin disease, mental illness (excluding syphilitic ones), allergies, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and dysfunctions of organs. Psora is responsible for most bulldog-specific issues.
- Chief remedies are agar, alumina, ammon carb, ammon mur, anacardium, antimon crudum, arsen alb, aurum, aurum mur, bar carb, borax, calc carb, carbo an, carbo veg, caust, clem, colocynth, conium, cuprum, dig, dulc, euphorbium, graph, guaj, hepar, iodium, kali carb, lyc, mag carb, mag mur, manganum, mez, mur ac, nat carb, nat mur, nitric acid, nitrium, petroleum, phos, phos ac, platina, sars, sepia, silica, stannum, sulph, sulp ac, zincum
(Source: Hahnemann's Miasm Theory and Miasm Remedies).
These miasms can be acquired or inherited, but most are inherited. For example, let's say your dog gets kennel cough. He/she is treated with antibiotics, which is.a form of suppressive therapy and will cause the kennel cough to become dormant, and manifest later on and present in a different form such as allergies or ear infections because the kennel cough was never truly healed. However, most miasms are inherited and exist in various layers in the bod because "correcting disease and building health is like peeling away layers of an onion" (Source: Miasm Formulas: Breakthroughs in the Cure of Disease) and as symptoms appear, homeopathic remedies and specific miasm formulas work to restore health and eradicate disease.
This is the polar opposite of how conventional veterinary medicine (and human medicine for that matter too) works. This kind of "care" treats symptoms and does not actively heal anything. Vaccinating frequently, feeding kibble as recommended by most vets fails to recognize animals as individuals and like people, one size does not fit all. Not even close.
-Written by Erica L.