Cray Cray Things
Things are cray in the vet business. Check out recent news stories below.
- A Study of Breed-Related Causes of Death in Dogs: A 20-year study from the University of Georgia examined causes of death in dogs between 1984 and 2004, which included records of 74,566 dogs from the Veterinary Medical Database 27 veterinary teaching hospitals. The study found that cancer was by far the most common disease category cause of death in adult dogs. (Read more on our blog!)
- Connections Between Drug Makers and Educators Abound: A cray article from 2014 that discusses how big vet pharma (aka MARS Inc., Merck, Zoetis etc.) fund ongoing vet education to professors, students and researchers. According to Eric Campbell, a Harvard University professors who researches conflicts of interest between doctors and drug companies stated, “The fact that they’re being supported by the companies they’re supposed to be overseeing raises issues about the impact of those payments."
- Does Your Dog’s Vaccine Contain Thimerosal (Even When It Says It Doesn’t)?: In both the USA and Canada (you can ask your vet for an exemption letter, though!). Eli Lilly, the creator of thimerosal, deemed it to be perfectly safe. However, it has a less than stellar track record, vaccine manufacturer Pittman-Moore wrote to them and said:“We have obtained marked local reaction in about 50% of the dogs injected with serum containing dilutions of Merthiolate,” thimerosal.
- Dogs' Feelings are now Recognized by Law as Animals are given more Legal Rights: Awesome news from the UK as they formally passed laws that recognize dogs as SENTIENT beings. This means they are protected under the law and aren't treated as property!
- Drugging & Poisoning Pets for Profit: Big Pharma Takes Over Veterinary Medicine: Unfortunately, MARS inc. (yes, the same company that makes sugar), Zoetis (Pfizer Subsidiary) and Elanco (Own Bayer Animal Health), and Nestle are the major players in the vet pharmaceutical world and they have a monopoly in the industry. This article demonstrates a link between increasing sickness in our pets and increasing pill pushing as opposed to holistic care.
- J&J is using a Bankruptcy Maneuver to Block Lawsuits over Baby Powder Cancer Claims: Johnson & Johnson blocked approximately 38,000 lawsuits claiming that its talc baby powder was contaminated with cancer-causing asbestos by creating a new company called LTL to dump all its asbestos-related liabilities — "including the avalanche of lawsuits — into the new firm." This is OUTRAGEOUS!
- 5 Academic Partners Supporting the Pet Food Industry: Vet schools including Kansas State, Texas &M, the University at Guelph, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and North Carolina State University have partnerships with pet food manufacturers. This article discusses some of the nuances of this partnership. We are wondering, how can this possibly be ethical in training future vets? The answer: it's not.
- Rabies Vaccine can cause Rabies Symptoms in Dogs: The rabies vaccine contains a trace amount of rabies virus, which can cause the exact same symptoms of rabies itself. Rabies vaccinosis symptoms are physical, mental and emotional and are often overlooked by vets and will not associate a connection between these symptoms and the vaccine.
- The Corporatization of Veterinary Medicine: Interesting article from the American Veterinary Medical Association that talks about how the veterinary medicine, software management and practice management is greatly affected by corporations like Mars INC. that have a monopoly over the industry.
- The High-Cost , High-Risk World of Modern Pet Care: How one vets' franchise was taken over by Banfield for violating vaccine protocols and breaking Connecticut law when he adjusted vaccine doses based on the size of the animal (not the one-size-fits-all approach). "Corporations now own 15 percent to 20 percent of America’s 26,000 pet hospitals, and consolidators, copying the model pioneered by VCA, are buying them fast. (Banfield is one of the few big businesses building its own clinics; the rest are rolling them up.)
- Thimerosal - An Incredibly Controversial Preservative: According to the FDA, thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound. Since the 1930s, it has been widely used as a preservative in a number of biological and drug products, including many vaccines, to help prevent potentially life threatening contamination with harmful microbes. There is no regulatory agency equivalent for our animals. Why does a chihuahua receive the same vaccine (with preservatives) as a mastiff?
- Why Vets are Getting Away with Murder: Our pets are getting sicker and have shorter lifespans compared to dogs several decades ago despite significant advancement in technology and medicine.